09-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #37
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I don't believe the M3 will post under 8 seconds in any configuration but boy do I hope I am wrong and you are right. I think the C2S will have a slightly better time around the Ring due to it's better brakes. It will be able to drive harder into corners because of them. I believe Cup tires are an unfair way to test any car against it's competition because the vast majority of cars don't come with cup tires. I love the GT3 but it definately has unfair advantage with its cup tires. Without those tires, the Cayman would easily be Porsches best handling car. One of the reasons I respect the Cayman and R8 so much is the way they handle without cup tires. Again, my argument for the handling advantage offered a mid engine design.
Add to the equation, that the 997S has 255mm and 295mm tires, fore and aft, providing much more contact surface. Once the M3 posts it's best time, I'd like to see the facelifted 997S run the same course, on the same day with the same driver and equipped with the same Cup tires. I am confident that the M will not best that scenario.
Appreciate 0