07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I don't "give" money away either, but I don't walk out of a restaurant leaving zero tip when the waiter did nothing wrong. Like I said before, the OP is assuming a lot by thinking he brought out $5's as the smallest bills thinking he would get that for his tip. If the OP really wanted singles, he should have corrected the guy and said, "Hey, I need singles for this $5." Instead, he took the easy way out and just left. Why so afraid to confront the waiter?

He also said the service was "marginal." To me, that's pretty vague. Personally, I think the OP was just looking to justify a reason to be cheap.

If you want to be cheap then that's fine, lots of people are cheap. Just don't try to hide behind the fact that there was some sort of conspiracy against you by the waiter when there probably wasn't.
Not being cheap at all. I am not going to reward poor or marginal service. Society has created an environment where the consumer feels guilty for not tipping. Why is it only the waiters that deserve a tip...when was the last time you tipped the gas pump attendant, etc. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to decide a fair wage to the server. I have been to restaurants where tipping is not permitted. To compensate the charge for meals is slightly more. No pressure/no guilt.
Appreciate 0