02-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

M3 Advice

Hello All,
My first introduction to the joys of BMW motoring was with a 2008 E92 330d M Sport and I instantly understood all the pundit's talk of rear wheel drive and near perfect chassis balance. I thoroughly enjoyed the car and last year decided to change it for a new 335d - that was before they introduced the 2010 LCI changes and degraded a very fine car. Apart from the huge side mirrors and the in-your-face anti theft light, the same size as an aircraft anti-collision beacon, the major retrograde step for me was the lack of that wonderful feel and directness of the steering.
So, instead of another E92, I allowed myself to be seduced by the technology and classy interior of the new F10 and ended up with a 535d M Sport last September. In just about all aspects it's a very fine car, but I cannot adapt to the on-centre steering numbness, which results in a tendency for the car to wander off line due to the lack of road feedback and seeing as it's such a significant issue, I'm now thinking seriously about an M3 coupé.
With that in mind, I be grateful for any pertinent advice such as 18" or 19" wheels, real-world mpg, any rumours of a model change, etc., etc.
I'd also go for the 7 speed DCT - does that have a fully auto mode for relaxed tootling, or can gear changes only be selected manually by the paddles or central lever?
I already have an insurance quote of £450 NCD protected fully comp - just £50 more than I'm paying for the F10, so that's hardly a deterrent!
All opinions welcome - many thanks.
Jon D.
Appreciate 0