View Single Post
      08-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #66
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Actually the crank throws in the in-line 3 are at 120 degrees like the in-line 6 - the in-line six has no, repeat ZERO imbalance (whereas the 60 degree or 90 degree V6 have some inherent imbalance). The in-line three has a fore and aft imbalance, rocking motion (front to back), that can be mitigated.

See the 7th Edition Bosch Automotive Handbook, pages 474, 475 for further reference.

What I think is that we're going to see something pretty amazing - smooth & powerful - out of this and I think we should be prepared for production power trains, in the near future, using the principles unveiled in this concept. With environmental legislation looming, and peak oil near (or having already occurred) these are the cards being dealt to car manufacturers. Those that figure out how to move forward with reduced CO2 emissions and reduced access to crude, will survive. Those that don't will get governement bailouts . . . opps, did I say that? ; -)

Last edited by atr_hugo; 08-29-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added a bit of a conclusion.
Appreciate 0