View Single Post
      09-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Sugar is getting a bad wrap in my eyes. We need it for energy! However, the thing that is bad about HFCS in my opinion is:

1. It's everywhere in processed foods and liquid candy (sodas, juices, etc).
2. Much of it contains mercury.
3. Comes from corn which contains polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs).
4. No fiber.
5. Only been around since the 70s.

PUFAs contained in corn, soy, grains, legumes, seed, nuts, fatty fish, above ground vegetables oxidize quickly in the presence of heat and oxygen (i.e. in the body) and contain antithyroid nutrients which leads to high oxidative burden, poor digestion, and suboptimal thyroid function.

The same exact foods that are used to fatten industrial animals (corn, soy, grain) cheaply and easily are being used to fatten Americans. Because the industrial animals are slaughtered young, we don't get to see the effects of that type of nutrition long term on their physiology; but you can surely see the outcomes in our physiology in the form of chronic degenerative disease The irony is when you feed farm animals saturated fats (as in coconut oil), they get lean! These are the same fats we are told to avoid. HFCS is taking a hit in the media thanks to Dr. Lustig, but very few are looking the ratio of polyunsaturated fats to saturated fats in the human diet, and it's role in disease.
Appreciate 0