11-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #76
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
My thinking is the caliper and piston are dissimilar metals so they heat up at different rates. If the piston heats up faster it could expand faster than the caliper bore. That coupled with the uneven pressure and the soft rubber could cause the piston to wedge itself into the bore. If it wedged while the piston was extended then the pad would constantly be contacting the rotor causing it to heat up very quickly on that one side only. The heat transfers through the rest of the braking system causing all of the other failures.

Keep in mind, I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination, just going over in my head how it could have happened.
Yes, Radiation Joe pointed out a similar possibility with the piston getting stuck (due to play in the guides) as well. I just have a hard time thinking a pro driver would not notice one of the brakes dragging at speed. Even if it is a slight drag, there should be something noticable/uneven about how the car drives, but I haven't experienced such a condition myself so I can't say for sure. Also, one would think the designers would have taken any differences in thermal expansion rates into account.