11-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #71
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
1. its common sense - a smaller pad area will retain more heat - just as smaller rotors do.
What you call common sense, and as far as I can tell have no hard data for, others, myself included call as having no physical basis. You do realize that pad to caliper contact is way way smaller than pad to rotor contact area right? The limiting factor here simply is not the pad size.

Quote:
2. 'It' would not 'require' the knowledge of the exact alloy or alloy mix used -- as I am not a metalurgists and that information would be useless to me. What is required; is 'experience' with different cars and their calipers and various bbk's and actually witnessing a difference in temperatures, which is where I am coming from.
BMW OE calipers are infamous on the track for cooking rotors and pads due to the cheap alloy used.
Again it begs the obvious questions. What is the price difference between the OEM alloy and a typicaly BBK alloy? Was your testing repeatable or scientific in any way? Without hard data I simply call BS. Brake facts are all about the details, metalurgy is the basis of facts.

Quote:
3. Again, 'in my experience' titanium thermal barrier plates between the pad and caliper help to keep the caliper cooler and extend pad life (minimally)
I would love to see something other than isolated anecdotal evidence. Despite the size of the effect of Ti plates this absolutely is not a real solution for rotors at these temperatures, ~700°C.

Quote:
4. Call BS all you want -- I suppose you think that BBK's come painted for looks. The paint acts as a thermal barrier which keeps the calipers a bit cooler. It seems like a common sense: 1/64" paint barrier, no??P
Calipers are painted for two reasons. 1. Bling, 2 Environmental protection for the aluminum which is subject to corrosion and chemical attack, of course not like steel, but it is still vulnerable. In reality the paint will act as an insulator. I seriously doubt it can signficantly alter the radiative cooling of the caliper. So, yes, I do call BS.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0