11-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #70
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I disagree with much of what you say here.

1. Pad surface area will not significantly alter rotor temperatures. They may, when combined with multi-pistons slightly change caliper temperature. What is important is not the pad mass but the combined system thermal mass and the rotor contributes so much more it drowns out the effect of pad mass.

2. I call BS on a problem with the OEM caliper alloy. That would require that you know which alloy it is and you don't. There is not a great deal of difference in the alloys used for brake systems. Sure casting and forging will probably use different alloys but their specific heat and thermal conductivity will be very similar.

3. Titanium pad plates or any other thermal barrier will slightly increase rotor and pad temperatures and slightly decrease caliper temperatures. The only real solutions are less car weight, less braking, heavier rotors or more cooling. Heavier pads and calipers would offer very little improvement. In short the energy generated will typically be constant (driver, track, car, etc. equal) redistribution of the energy is not so important compared to thermal and cooling capacity.

4. I also call BS on caliper paint having any benefit on performance/thermal performance.

1. its common sense - a smaller pad area will retain more heat - just as smaller rotors do.

2. 'It' would not 'require' the knowledge of the exact alloy or alloy mix used -- as I am not a metalurgists and that information would be useless to me. What is required; is 'experience' with different cars and their calipers and various bbk's and actually witnessing a difference in temperatures, which is where I am coming from.
BMW OE calipers are infamous on the track for cooking rotors and pads due to the cheap alloy used.

3. Again, 'in my experience' titanium thermal barrier plates between the pad and caliper help to keep the caliper cooler and extend pad life (minimally)

4. Call BS all you want -- I suppose you think that BBK's come painted for looks. The paint acts as a thermal barrier which keeps the calipers a bit cooler. It seems like a common sense: 1/64" paint barrier, no??

It's alot easier to see the difference between BBK's that perform well at the track vs. BBK's that do not vs. OE brake systems vs. Modified OE brake systems .... when you have actually had experience with all 4 at the track in the same car with the same compound pad.

But a basic common sense law would be to copy what works (looking at BBK's that actually do)
- Thats why we started putting SS Lines on OE brake systems
- Thats why OE brake systems began featuring multi-piston setups
- Thats why you want a bigger rotor
and now I say paint your caliper to help with heat --
Appreciate 0