View Single Post
      05-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
As a M3 fanboy I am pleased to see the M3 come out on top. As a rational car enthusiast this article makes me embarrassed for BMW and BMW enthusiasts alike. Looks like the game was fixed before it ever started.

Anyone who jumps on this bandwagon needs to take an honest look at themselves. How many times do we hear on this forum that it is performance numbers and lap times that really matter and the numbers do not lie? (Well Look at the numbers of the three contestants and report back). Then blast someone who minimizes the importance of all these crazy numbers and focuses instead on actual driving attained through such cognitive/physical sensations such as steering feel, seat of the pants feel, fits like a glove feel, the feel of acceleration, cornering feel, braking feel and of course the all important panache factor. And all accomplished without thinking about or recording a single solitary number. Now how archaic is that?

I am picking up what your throwing down but then how does one justify buying an Aston Martin DBS for $250K over a 997TT or even an M3. Both Germans have superior or matching performance. If we start going down this road then look at all the Maserati GT's and Jags being sold despite having inferior performance to cars that cost half as much..... You really cant just take performance numbers over all else either.

I have a big ego, like any other car nut, and numbers mean a lot to me but I am willing to admit that differences measured in fractions of seconds do not translate well to the street. Granted, I am not dumb enough to believe that I can take a GTR from a stop light. Does this downplay the M3? Does it downplay the Aston DBS that an M3 can give it a run for its money at 1/4 the price? Money being a non-issue, would you really take the M3 over the Aston? Think about it....

Jason