04-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #134
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
It has a lot of curves, as well.

Again, can you quote any physical laws that have been broken? Nobody else can, but I have hope for you.
I occasionally like to throw grenades from the sidelines. The problem with grenades is that they're not the most precise things. What I meant by my comment about Nissan overcoming the immutable laws of physics, is that I will never believe the lap times they are currently reporting are from a factory stock GT-R, even accounting for Nissan's obvious hp underrating. The power-to-weight ratio of a factory-stock car, and the grip from tires on a factory-stock car bracket it within a certain range of probable lap times.

You are a pretty scientific minded guy. You should know that an experiment is not considered valid unless it can be repeated. Both Driver's Republic, and Porsche themselves (hardly neutral I understand, but the Germans are usually pretty conservative about these matters) have attempted to duplicate the results of Nissan's driving experiment and neither have come close. In Porsche's case, they actually flew a U.S. spec GT-R off the showroom floor, and onto the ring. There are also various other "non ring" tests that show where the GT-R stands in the pecking order. Here's another one to chew on:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...lap_times.html