10-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #46
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Car insurance wouldn't exist if that was the case. He might screw himself out of coverage on HIS vehicle, but if he caused any damage, he's liable, and therefore his insurance company, if covered. Uninsured motorist (if purchased) would cover the victim, but insurance company would go after the other in no time.

Only instance YOU might be screwed is if there were no witnesses, you didn't write down his license plate, and you don't have uninsured motorist coverage. In a place like TX, you'd be pretty stupid not to have the latter. Enough said.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not making this stuff up. His insurance company is liable if he follows the rules of his coverage, as set forth by the State of Texas. His insurance company is not liable if he does not cooperate with them. If he takes that route, then he is open to civil liability, but if he has nothing to lose, you have nothing to gain by suing him. I realize you want to believe it doesn't work this way, but it does. Now I will recover under my insurance, but that is not the issue. What is so difficult to understand? Since you're obviously more knowledgeable than the good people that work at the state board for insurance for Texas, I would appreciate you giving them a call and explaining the law to them. They can be reached at: 800-252-3439. Now, I've said more than enough.

Last edited by KIS; 10-06-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0