08-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
No but I got invited to instruct there on Aug 20-21.[I] would love to try go but my own Trackday is the 19th at Shannonville and I am pretty sure that I will be in Calabogie on the 14th.

Hey tell us about this E30?
Too bad you can't make it. I could have picked up a few things from you.

I bought the E30 M3 last week. Owned and maintained by local instructors/advanved drivers. Stripped. Full proper cage, seats, and harnesses. All suspension components replaced within the past few years. Riding on Bilstein shocks and H&R sport springs. New exhaust. Stock calipers with EVO rotors (ducted properly). No rust underneath, just a few spots on body panels. Straight frame. Clear title. 2.3 S14 Motor with 171k has good compression numbers, but the leak downs are ~11%. It started right up although it was in storage since September. It might need a rebuild over the winter just to be on the safe side. Haven't weighed it yet, but I suspect it is around 2600lb. I got a set of new 15" wheels & cup tires (they were on blowout for $125 a piece). The wheels weigh 34lb each! Currently at the shop for fluid flush. I will run a new set of XP10s on it. Overall, it is in pretty good shape, but it needs to be sorted out a little. Thinking about replacing the dash with a CF panel and going over the wiring. Might get rid of the instrument cluster. Might replace some of the glass with lexan panels. Might replace hood with CF racing hood. Might go to stiffer mounts. Might redo shocks and springs. Need to drive the car first on a track!

Basically, I wanted a safe caged car and to go down in hp and weight, but not all the way down to Miata territory. This seemed like a good way doing that. I'll post pics from the Mt. Tremblant event.