View Single Post
      05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #257
DublinM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3 View Post
While I don't doubt that the blower can push that much CFM, it is going to do so at the top end of it's range. Way outside its efficiency range that even the manufacturer has rated at 500ps.

The ratio you use assumes that blowers are as efficient at the top end as they are on the low end (i.e. Dividing CFM by 1.5). However, As the CFM continues to go up, so does the RPM of the blower. As the RPM goes up so does the temperature. As the blower temperature goes up, so do the intake temps. As intake temps go up, the power gains will start to go down in respect to the additional CFM because you are beyond the blowers capacity.

Having a blower slightly bigger than you need is obviously better than trying to overwork a small blower rated 125hp lower than your target goal as it will operate in the middle of it's peak efficiency range AND not run out of power at high engine rpm's. Not to mention the unit itself is not spinning at it's absolute max speed and would undoubtedly have better longevity.
You sir are correct.

Just because you can does not mean you should. there is a reason the manufacturer will rate the power of the blowers they design and sell. They are telling you what the limits of the blower are and the range at which it should be operated. When you push beyond these limits you will get loss of top end power, shortend blower life and leave yourself with no room to upgrade.

As far as the water / air cooling debate I would agree that water cooling is always superior unless you are on a budget and want to keep costs down. Almost all new high HP BMW and Mercedes designs are now using water cooling.
Appreciate 0