United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
and as I guy who also owns an m3, owned a highly modified 135i for 3 years (see here), and drove the 1M extensively in the track at PCD, I have to disagree and tell you that the M3 is the more enjoyable car to drive.

The 1M has a better/tighter clutch and shifter compared to my old 135i, but neither is as enjoyable as an M-DCT at the track! And this coming from a guy who has never driven anything but Manual Trannies.

In terms of "enjoyment", the 1M outshined the M3 IMO in very tight turns and in shorter tracks with lots of turns, whereas the M3 needs a little more straights and pin turns to spread it's legs. Having said that, is there a more enjoyable feeling out there than keeping the S65's engine in it's power band (5.5-8.5k) and hearing this lighting fast shifts when you take an Apex?

I'm sure your feeling and your experience is what you described, as is anyone's opinion, but I wanted to make sure that you don't just generalize what an M3/135i/1M experienced person would say.
Well obviously my opinion is based on comparing manual transmissions. No doubt DCT is great for the track, but more enjoyable? It really depends on the skill level of the driver. My first few times at the track were pretty rough with the manual, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

I have a lot more fun driving when I'm in the corners. Hitting 120mph in the back straights just doesn't do much for me as it's just about having the most HP. The car does sound good though.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0