View Single Post
      09-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #70
MrBonus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d, 993 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I didn't say they're largely similar, I said the Boss isn't necessarily any better to drive for the changes. Faster yes, of course. The intangibles are where I don't think either is where it needs to be yet. Steering feel and response (the Boss kicks back more but I'm not going to take that in lieu of a more granular tactility through the wheel), the way the rear end always seems a little surprised by what the frontend is doing, I don't think the car squats enough (too much front rebound?). Little things.
Fair enough. It does lack that intimate "fingers to the road" feel of the M3 but it is very linear and predictable unlike the GT. I agree with the disconnect between the front and rear but I think a lot of that has to do with the sheer length of the wheelbase and size of the car coupled with a less-than-compliant dance partner that is the live rear axle (although I think the torsen is brilliant at finding traction that shouldn't exist on a car like this).

Regardless, I'm very happy with it, flaws and all, as it is an entertaining, no frills throwback of a car. My 993 that preceded it was a more visceral affair, grittier and smaller with a cab-forward design that puts you right on top of the action but I am looking forward to using the Boss as a track car. My 993 was simply too expensive and quite frankly brittle in its old age to track as frequently as I desired.

For the record, I was prepared to buy an E90 M3 days before I bought the Boss but the dealership who agreed upon a price started to jerk me around shortly thereafter. I got a lead on a Laguna Seca model and figured I would buy it and if I hated it, I could always turn around and sell it for more than I paid for it. It turns out I really like the thing even if it looks like a leftover prop from an A Team spinoff.

Last edited by MrBonus; 09-16-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0