View Single Post
      05-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #525
naterater
BMW & Michelin Brand Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
It can take 500 or so miles for tires to come into their own as the release agent used to release them from the mold can permeate the rubber. Also, fresh rubber with all that tread will experience "tread wiggle". When a tire wears the tread starts to wear down decreasing tread wiggle increasing the tires turn in response and stability. There is a reason why racers shave tires down.

Dave
The Pilot Super Sport tire manufacturing facilities do not use mold release agents and all molds are either bare or coated with an industrial coating/not lubricant. This coating reduces friction, improves wear resistance and is used for non-stick applications. An example would be non-stick cookware (like DuPont's trademarked Teflon). All of the Pilot Super Sport molds (both in EU and the US) have these coated molds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
I thought I was the only one! I've had my PSS on since mid march, about five thousand mile ago. And at 62K miles I have had two sets of PS2s and a winter set of Conti's DWS all seasons. These PSS lack the grip of the PS2s and does seem to break lose al lot easier than PS2s ever did. To me it seems to perform only on par of my Contis. I know about the release compound the he need for it to wear off, but after 5K miles there seems to be no appreciable difference since day one!
The PSS's have been shown to have better handling, braking, and wet performance than the PS2. They are a summer tires, has it been colder than normal in your area since you got them? Where your PS2's run-flats?
Appreciate 0