Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
Did Ford mention at XYZ miles it will require recoating again ?

There has been speculations that in factory form, the plasma coating on R35 should be lifetime (300k km). However once you put more power through the engine, the lifespan shortens depending on how much power goes through.

Without detracting too much off topic, plasma coating is a great technology. When you put more power through an engine, there will be other pertinent components that we should be worried.
Well I read that Ford initially didn't use the technology because it would flake off (I think it was something like 60k miles on the 5.4L 500hp), then developed a special procedure to apply it that fixed the issue. However, they did not sell that application procedure technology to Nissan. I'm not sure if it will have the flaking issues on the V6 in the same time frame that it did on the V8. The flaking isn't serious until it reaches a certain point but my guess is 100k miles might be about as good as it gets unless Nissan developed a similar procedure. It's the only reason the GT500 didn't come in an aluminum block in 2007. The procedure was very secret and I think Ford admitted that it was used on the Ford GT and were awaiting a patent until they used it on the GT500 or something like that, or to make the application process cheaper.

So depends on how nissan applies it. Only thing I know about the special application Ford developed is that it's something like 3200 degrees molten application or something way beyond my pea brain comprehension.
Appreciate 0