10-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

2 week old M3 OIL LEAK

Hi New to forum
Had 4 e60s(535d) ,1 X6(35d),1 FO1 Msport(30d) ,6 series(635d) and now M3 2011 comp pack DCT
All these cars have been purchased in the last 7 years and do not include my wifes X3 and 3 E70 lastest a LCI 3.0D mSPORT.
So totally into BMW culture and problems etc.

My current car M3 2011 Comp Pack DCT,two weeks old.

I was delighted with purchase, the correct size car for parking and that fab sounding engine, and after all my previous cars all being diesels and quite similar in driving experience it was great to be in petrol V8 before the 'greens' force me to drive some thing powered by Duracell!

So keen to get past 1200 mile service, made sure I completed the required miles quickly but within recommended speed and revs.

Had to give the engine 1 ltr of oil after 460miles and it appeared to use it quickly, but assumed it was just part of the running in process.

Had my 1200 mile service, tech (very good guy)explained that there was oil in the tray and all over the engine and questioned my skill at pouring in the oil,I explained I had been careful but could not rule out spilling some!

So after service the tech advised revisit 48 hours.

The paper which I put under the car (from dealer) was soaked in oil, and it appeared to have lost .3ltr of oil.

When revisited the dealer, the car was put on a ramp and the full horror was to be seen, NOT TWO WEEKS old and the whole engine covered in oil, all the rubber brushes and pipes and belts where soaked in oil,a bolt which has a hole to allow oil through had failed, it is postioned at the top of the engine,so fan has splated engine with oil.

I have been told its fixable, but the engine needs dismantling to repair and requires steam cleaning!

I am concerned that oil on rubber parts creates premature wear and will end up in belt drives etc and will result in other problems and I am pissed off with the failure of the car, assuming its clearly been manufactured with a problem!

I trust the dealer, but have no faith in BMW and have decided to reject the car, in favour of a replacement new M3 to the same spec.

I notified dealer today, and they agreed to speak to BMW, this will be interesting.

Your comments please, particular if you have had a simlar problem

Appreciate 0