View Single Post
      05-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #104
JesusFrEAk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

First off I wanna say I read the first page and last of this thread and didnt have time to read the rest so if I say something that someone else already said I apologize.

If your looking in to a protein shake whether its to bulk up or just get in your daily recommendations for protein it's always good to do some research on the types of protein in the shake.

BTW, your daily recommendations for protein per day is 1.5 x (Bodyweight) now this isn't a precise number (precise is like 1.3 or something like that) but it's a general rule of thumb if you want to try to pack on some muscle. If this daily goal is not met you probably wont see much muscle gain.

As far as proteins go some less informed people may not know that there are different types of protein for your goals.

Whey Protein in general has always been held as the standard. There are two types of protein that come from milk, Whey Protein, and Casein. Of the two Casein is the slower digesting protein (off the top of my head I think it's somewhere between 5-7 hours) where as Whey differently. There are many types of whey protein out on the market so it may get confusing. Here goes.

In the order of quickest digestion:

Whey Protein Hydrolysates - Digestion is about 1-3 hours from my recollection.
Whey Protein Isolates - Digestion is about 2-4 hours. Again relying on memory.
Whey Protein Concentrate - Digestion is about 3- 5 hours. This is probably the crappiest of the bunch.

Soy Protein - Don't really care for it so I don't really know much about it but obviously if they have a Soy Protein Isolates at the store thats probably your best bet. Regardless, supplement companies rarily make just a soy protein.

Egg Protein (Egg Albumin)

Keep in mind I'm just talking about what I know and have done research on (I use to be a personal trainer.)
Then there are some others on the market that aren't really popular or backed by hard data. Like a new one is HSP (Heat Shock Proteins). Don't really know much about it but so far seems like a marketing scam.

If anyone has any questions there more than welcome to PM me. Sorry for the long post that seems like a rant. LOL
Appreciate 0