View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #117
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
This has probably been discussed before but thought I would ask.....

Has anybody used the stock OEM 18" wheel/tire combo as a full size spare, especially on long trips?? I was thinking, maybe the rear wheel/tire (18*9.5 wheel with the stock 265/40 tire, but an all season tire) will make a good full size spare to carry around, especially on long road trips.

I went for the rear wheel because, in case you have a rear wheel flat, then putting the front wheel/tire size on the rear may interfere with the proper working of the rear differential, given the different circumferences.

Any of you happen to know if the rear wheel/tire combo - if installed on the front for temporary use in case of an emergency - has sufficient clearances for the front, to avoid any sort of rubbing onto the surrounding structures??
I have snow wheels and 3 season wheels and I have put a spare wheel, jack, and wrench in the trunk. I chose a front wheel as a spare simply because it would fit either end and was smaller and lighter. It would get me home any distance I needed to go. DSC can be turned off. A minispare is better from a space saving perspective and a stock scissor jack is more compact than the aluminum HF floor jack I brought along. I have trouble paying $300+ for a minispare.
Appreciate 0