08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
well i guess thats normal then...
Unfortunately it is. I drove my clean California 350z for two winters in Pennsylvania and it ended up looking like that afterwards. And PA winters don't hold a candle to Canada. That's not the problem here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
not entirely true. The diff bolts have been discussed at length here before. The problem is the threaded bolts securing the diff shear.
I wouldn't think a burnout to be that bad for the car as the wheels should be spinning. Lateral forces on the car would present more of an issue on the bolts themselves. So standing still, even smoking the tires and giving the driveline and initial shock shouldn't do this.

Maybe if it was at a drag strip going through the box (sticky rubber) or launching the car that I could see, or as said before hard lateral forces on the rear end.

Now where is the guy who was designing new bolts??
A smooth burnout should be fine. It's wheel hop that stresses the fully threaded, single shear bolts (fucking stupid) on the diff and causes them to fail.

That said, some people claim to have had them break with no "hard" driving AT ALL. Bottom line is, there is something wrong here. It scares the hell out of me and makes me not want to drive the car hard.