02-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #64
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom View Post
In Quebec you get a year. A luxury indeed... excessive if you ask me. Employers are also required by law to keep your position available. Our sales manager just returned from maternity leave and is pregnant again. She'll be leaving in June. Basically over a 2.5 year period she will have actually worked 6 months.

Yeah.... all these luxuries are great. Free health care, maternity leave, welfare, social programs, etc etc etc... Of course it comes at a price, if you're a regular working person in Quebec you are taxed out the ass.
I don't know how long Quebec can hold on to some of it's traditions and hope to remain competitive (I'm a Quebec ex-pat BTW). It wold kill me to pay Quebec taxes. In Alberta, on the other hand, I think the pendulum has swung too far to the right when it comes to energy deregulation. When it comes to utilities there really is no such thing as a truly competitive market. Is the competitor going to run parrell gas lines or hydro lines? The provincial gov't has opened up "competition" in these industries, but it has just served too boost my energy bills. I don't give a shit from whom I buy my energy. One electron is the same as the next.

It kills me when some Americans (or Ontarians for that matter ) start a sentence with "In Canada..." like we are a homogeneous entity.
Appreciate 0