01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I drive and track both cars so I have a pretty good appreciation for the difference as well.

#1 His post was about the shifter feel ("love how the 6MT feels, tight clutch and ultra short throws"). The S2000's shifter feel is superior to the M3. I have both. This is a function of the transmission placement in the S2000, where the direct shift linkage removes the slop inherent in any other design. On top of that, the M3 by contrast has one of the worst/sloppiest/most rubbery feeling shifters I have used. I still enjoy having a 6MT e92, but the shifter could be improved. Again, the S2000 is a poor comparison due to the transmission layout differences, but even comparing the M3 to other similarly-designed cars it is subpar. By contrast, the e92 steering feel and steering wheel are superior to the S2000.

#2 The M3 feels very nimble given its heft. But there is still no way to not notice the 800+ lb weight difference. The car understeers horribly from the factory, and requires suspension/alignment changes as well as heavy trail braking to rotate on turn-in.

#3 The S2000's suspension design is superior to the e92. Is this really a debate? This plus the weight advantage means the S2000 corners better (i.e., faster). This is the reason the cars can turn similar lap times around tighter tracks.

FYI here is respective data from two sample laps:
View post on imgur.com

#4 The e92 makes significantly more horsepower. It makes significantly more torque. The powerband is significantly better. The s65 is an absolutely phenomenal motor. At higher speed tracks (MRLS, ACS, etc.) this is a difference that gaps the S2000 significantly (this is also a result of the S2000's poor aero design, partly a function of it being a convertible and having a poor rake to the windshield). On tracks with shorter straights, the S2000s superior cornering speed brings the cars times quite close together.

The S2000 is a $35,000 sports car. The e9x M3 is a luxury GT car (albeit, a very capable at one, but with compromises) at twice the price.

I assume you have respective lap times at Thunderhill (a track where horsepower advantage is reduced, similar to SoCal's Chuckwalla) in the S2000 versus the e90?

They are both fantastic cars with their respective strengths and weaknesses. The M3 is easier to drive and has more power. The S2000 handles better (and is cheaper on consumables ).
^Excellent post, thank you for sharing.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0