05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In light of what happened at Chuckwalla 2 weekends ago, you can't blame an organization for going above and beyond to make sure it's participants are SAFE. Especially when they put volunteer staff in harms way.

So as someone who's required to sit passenger side, I applaud CCA's efforts. Plus, it's an HPDE. If you can't learn to alter your lines because the organizers require it, I'd suggest other sports beckon.

Plus, it's another opportunity to teach. Otherwise the front straight is basically a test of who's got more horses and tires, nothing more. At least with the gate there, you don't need to slow down but you do need to keep your eyes way up to navigate 1&2. Otherwise it's just foot planted to the floor all around the bank. At that point you might as well sign up for Richard Petty's NASCAR experience instead.
I spent my weekend instructing multiple individuals, both giving ridealongs in slower groups to show them the lines, and riding in their passenger seat (all in cars with significantly less safety equipment than my own). And for no pay (i.e., VOLUNTEER).

So with that in mind, my point is I think that the cone configuration is NOT safer and is bullshit. Thinking that constricting the FASTEST point on the track down to a single car width is "safer" is makes zero sense. So I do NOT applaud CCA.

And you apparently missed the part where I drive a 200whp car I still have to adjust my line going around the banking, usually to get around someone with a lot of hp down the straight who is going too slow around the bank.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0