United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merked M3 View Post
THANK YOU, AMAZING!!!!

I have been using my track fundamentals for autocross, so I definitely have to change that up. I have been reading up on trail braking and I really like your analogies, thanks!!! So I will attempt trail braking today by turning and braking up to the apex to rotate the car more then normal, and then modulate the throttle out of the corner for maximum acceleration. That way I'm not using acceleration to turn at all and losing that speed.

And it's sunny/dry today so I will really be able to see what this beast is made of!
You're welcome.

Trail-braking requires some practice to achieve the optimal combination of braking and turn in. The turn-in is the easiest part because you're braking hard and the car will respond to lots of steering input; however, as you start easing off the brakes, then the steering input will need to be reduced in a correlated manner. When you get really good at it you'll be able to carry the braking all the way to the apex. While learning, you'll most likely brake too early and then coast a bit to the apex.

Trail-braking allows you to brake later and carry more speed into the corner, generating more cornering force because of the weighting on the front tires. The extra speed tends to allow the car's inertia to transition to rotation near the apex, saving the front tires and giving you a "free" extra few degrees of turning without scrubbing off as much speed as if you'd done it with steering angle.

Those coming from road courses need to realize that the transitions still need to be smooth, BUT you can take a lot more risk particularly when entering the very common U-turns of AX. Braking while turning, all the way to the apex, is a key to being fast in AX. If you're a little too late braking, then don't worry about missing an apex and running out to an exit pylon, just adjust the next time around and be thankful there are no guard rails, trees or fences to hit.

Let us know how it goes.

Dave