View Single Post
      04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #55
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

As mentioned above, it is not a DCT. Have you driven one? It is dull compared to a DCT. Doesn't even feel close. Feels like a sporty automatic. I owned a C4S with PDK and even though its a DCT, it was dull compared to the M3's transmission. Better than the MCT though.

Yes, I had a short drive in a C63 BS with minor upgrades - nothing Weistec level though. It definitely felt better than a C63 but the transmission still killed it for me. How fast the transmission shifts doesn't make a big difference in enjoyment at this level. The PDK is extremely quick but not fun (now changed for the GT3 I believe). Also, if I recall correctly, the difference even between the M3 DCT and the ZF auto in a 335 is tiny in terms of shift times. Much more to it...

From some of the things JRCart has mentioned compared to his "1000hp CLK BS" he is probably around the ~800 range especially at this event. Makes sense compared to how he did against other cars. I remember a dyno but maybe I'm getting things mixed up.

The stock M3 DCT seems to be near its limit with these higher builds like Drew's car. Of course you can push out more if you start changing things...just as you can with any car. The lack of a DCT in the AMG helps it here. Competing with that Weistec is very unlikely without some serious work done to the M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
Couple things:
1) The transmission in the c63 black series has a dual clutch - it's the new upgraded MCT, not the slushbox in the older c63s
2) The C63 Black Series isn't a boring automatic Benz. Ever drive one? It actually tromps the M3 in absolutely every aspect - handling, power, etc. Its worlds apart from a regular C63, especially the way it handles. It's a more balls out racecar (rough suspension ride, bucket seats, etc), as where the m3 still retains the duality of a street car/track car.
3). JRCarts C63 did not DYNO in the 800whp range. Last I heard it was in the high 600s at a relatively mild boost and has more in it with race gas and a more aggressive tune. Both Drew's car and his car definitely can push out more power, the dual clutch transmissions (or lack of a reliable/proven upgrade) are the bottlenecks at this point. I think Weistec has something in the works for the Black Series.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0