View Single Post
      03-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #76
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Normally I would splurge on one or two nice dinners but not on this trip. I am covering for my parents and the gf so I'd rather stay away from the fine dining stuff.
I hear you. That's totally understandable.

One tip for casual dining in Italy - don't ever let your waiter or waitress process your credit card out of your sight. It's relatively common for waitstaff at casual dining establishments in Italy to steal your credit card number. In fact, it's so common that most places will bring a portable credit card processing machine to the table and run your credit card right in front of you. I straight up asked one waiter why so many cafes processed my credit card right in front of me and this is the reason he gave.

Of all the casual dining establishments we visited in Italiy, only one place did not do this and lo and behold I come home to find that my credit card number has been compromised. Someone from Ukraine went on a shopping spree at Neiman Marcus' online store using my card number

Obviously I can't be 100% sure that this waitress was the culprit, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd just be wary of credit card use in general. Of course, using cash only has its own issues. You don't want to be walking around with thousands of euros in cash either.
Appreciate 0