Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Autoblog picks 1M over M3

I know this is already on the bimmerpost homepage, but I thought this was particularly interesting. Although I have no intention on buying a 1M Coupe (at least not this generation), I've always been a big proponent of it and coming from a 135i, had a feeling a 1 series M car would have the potential to be more fun to drive than the M3. Looks like the guys over at Autoblog feel that's the case:

Quote:
In terms of power, the 1M Coupe seems to pull harder immediately out of the corners. Then, the M3's V8 hits its sweet spot (and sings gloriously) as it takes charge. This was both good and bad – the 1M Coupe would lose grip in the rear while the M3 kept the power down. While the brakes on the two vehicles are identical, those on the 1M Coupe are tasked with less weight, meaning they not only stop quicker but they absorb less heat. Thus, we found ourselves diving much deeper into the corners in the 1M Coupe.

The M3 also seems to have less understeer, possibly attributable to its longer wheelbase. It is slightly more stable mid-corner, but also harder to rotate. The difference in mass was obvious whether under acceleration, braking or during a transition. Lastly, the MDM software on the M3 seemed slightly less intrusive and more highly refined.

So, which of the two is quicker around Monticello's south course? The more agile 1M Coupe takes the corners, while the more powerful M3 takes the straights – yet, overall, the pair are unbelievably close on this circuit. Lacking telemetry, we honestly don't know which is quicker. However, it is obvious that the new car is more engaging and more enjoyable to drive. Offered the choice between the two, seeking a weekend track racer that will see double-duty as a work commuter, we would take this new 1M Coupe over a BMW M3 Competition.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/2...-drive-review/

The only thing that seems off to me is this:

Quote:
The whole package weighs in at just 3,296 pounds. To put that into perspective, the new 1M Coupe is 77 pounds lighter than the current 135i Coupe and a full 408 pounds lighter than the benchmark M3 Coupe.
400lbs is a lot of weight. I didn't think there was that big of a difference. Could be wrong?

I know the M3 fanboys will chime in with the witty childish remarks about the 1M, but I think BMW has a winner here. So far the reviews have been very positive.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0