01-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn764 View Post
Get some Creatine and train heavy with max 8 reps, try to do most of your exercise with free weights, avoid machines
I'm skeptical on creatine... I don't know a lot about it and the fact it turns into a poison when your body processes it doesn't seem so hot.

I should probably try the heavier weights with less reps. As I was trying to get lean I was doing lesser weights but with 15-20 reps each set. I'm going to begin that with my cheast/arm workouts and I'll report back.

I try to use free weights and only do machines at the end of my workouts, maybe the last couple sets when I can hardly lift the freeweights any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Congrats - that's awesome! Tell us, what's the secret to getting motivated and staying motivated? That's the hardest part for me...
Few things have been big motivators for me, so I'll share.

1) Workout buddies. I have two (recently three) guys I go to the gym with. It motivate the hell out of me to go because I know I'll get flack if I dont. Having multiple is crucial because if one guy decides to be lazy, there is still someone else. This is I think my biggest motivation to stay at the gym 4-5 days a week.

2) The Mirror. I put up a big mirror on the wall of my bedroom that I have to look at every time I enter. Seeing a small, weak body or a layer of fat around my waist is gross, and motivates me to get rid of it so I don't have to see it every day. This helps me focus on problem areas.

3) Women. I'm single, but even if you're not it's a motivator. My arms grew bigger, my posture got better, my waist shrank. Women notice it and start talking with you or complimenting you for no reason. It's fun on a base level, and assists with my options when searching for 'the one'. Even if you're married, it would be great to revamp some lust into your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Want to get big then work your legs. I been lifting since I was about 21 years old and I can tell you for a fact that guys who only train their upper bodies never really get very far. You need to lift heavy and concentrate on compound movements.

My chest work out consist of the followin
incline
warm up followed by 3 sets of 295lbs or 315lbs (depending on how i feel)

dumbless press
3 sets with 125lbs dumbells (thats the highest they go in my gym)

flys
with 80lbs dumbellls

dips
with 2x45lb plates

Thats all I do for chest and my chest is pretty damn big. Mind you genetics do play a role here. I can tell you one thing at one point I could not work my legs for about a year. During that time I didn't make great gains. Once I started my balls-out leg workouts again my overall strenght just got twin turbo boosted.
Legs - gotcha. I don't feel I hit these hard enough in my workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
By the way, how old are you? I found that as I get older, I may not bulk as fast but I develop a better looking and fuller muscle. When I was younger, 19, I would get big fast but lacked depth of muscle groups.