Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3 View Post
A few years ago and still in school i bought a 2000 Trans Am WS6 brand spankin new. I never got used to its tail end kick. Id love the long straights but in the twists id end up in some sketchy situation where butterflies in my stomache would be followed by loud thuds of my quarter panels bouncing off hillsides...I sucked at RWD power and the car sucked at weight distribution. Then i bought an audi quattro and the difference was night and day. I could slam that thing in the turns so hard that if not belted in id be in the passenger seat. After blowing up that cars transmission (probably from aformentiond reasons) I bought a e92 M3. I currently have 3K on the clock with some "somewhat" crazy turns into it. Totally calm, cool, and collected experiences with surgical precision. I can say WHOLEHEARTEDLY you would have to prove a "muscle car's" weight distribution, handling, and save my ass electronics before id ever reconsider an American car purchase. As a wise man once told me power is nothing without control.
You should have bought an old 944 and practised. It was one of the best cars to learn RWD in. Not enough power to get you into trouble and perfect weight distribution. Makes you look like a hero with very little practise. But you are right. Get a badly sorted RWD car and it's hell to drive. And too much hard work for daily driving. But one you get a good one and get it all right there's very little nicer.
Appreciate 0