View Single Post
      04-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I think it all depends on your expectations. I’ve owned a Cayman S. In terms of communication of steering, brakes, and suspension, the Porsche is much better. The mid-engine thing is probably overplayed a bit. One can argue that the M3 or ZO6 is as much a front mid-engine car as is the Boxster a rear mid-engine. One aggrevation I had with the Cayman, PSM cannot be fully disabled without some electrical work; not an issue for street driving, but a pain on track. The big nemesis of the M3 of course, is weight. More hp helps, but doesn’t offset the handling effects. Not that the M3 handling is weak, as it is truly a great sports sedan. I’ve owned two E46 and now the E92 version, and have no regrets. Except for StopTech brakes, I have done nothing to the car, and will not. It is not a car that, IMO, is very well suited to heavily modding for track use. It can be done of course, and with great success, but it’s kind of an uncomfortable fit. Maybe like wearing tennis shoes for running; can be done, and a good runner wearing them will beat me in my best running shoes! If I were still more active in track stuff, I would have something else, but the M3, IMO, is truly the best in its class.
Appreciate 0