Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If proper flashing procedures are followed (steady power supply, experienced technicians, etc) module failure is a rarity. If the dealer is charging 5 hours for reflashing, yes - they are happy to do this as its more revenue for the dealership.

It simply depends on the dealer. Let's not turn this into a sales thread.
Not sure how you can say that considering the dealer wouldn't update my car when I told them I would pay for it awhile back.

It has nothing to do with experienced technicians. A battery stabilizer is always hooked up to the car as the process will stop (or not begin) if it's not, and the software will tell the technician to apply a charger to maintain the correct voltage. The software must see a voltage between 13.0 minimum and 15.2 maximum. I have the EXACT same system used at the dealer, aside from the expert tools and other goodies, so I'm pretty experienced with them. The dealer system is as 'dumb' as your autologic, there isn't much room for failure. A monkey can click next and program - these aren't expert tools. It either works successfully or it doesn't. The in-between is where there are potential issues. This is where 'expert' tools come into the picture.

If paying $400 to $500 with the propensity of a failure being on you is satisfactory to the customer, then so be it. To me, I wouldn't even attempt if they made a comment that it would be my responsibility to cover further labor and potentially parts in the event that something goes awry.

The dealer is told by BMW not to update cars unless there is a TSB or something that would otherwise require such programming. I agree with you that it's rare, but I've seen it happen multiple times.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0