View Single Post
      07-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
cchan
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i/'11 C2S/'04 GT3

Can't help with locations, but I would ask how much physical euro cash do you expect to use, and do you have a good reason to bring cash euros with you?

Personally I would charge as much as you can on a credit card (Visa/MC). You can use your ATM card to withdraw pocket cash while in Europe (subject to daily limits). Check with your bank to make sure that will work, and also be aware your PIN needs to be only 4 digits. Generally speaking you will get better exchange rates this way. Sometimes foreign banks may not work with your home bank, so if an ATM rejects the transaction, try a different bank.

You can exchange currency at the airport (departure or arrival in Europe) at various counters/kiosks. Expect to see a pretty big buy/sell spread (up to ~10%) at the counters, plus additional transaction fees though. If you exchange at departure in the US, some counters offer "buyback" guarantees so you can convert excess euros back to $ when you return. Overseas, the exchange rates for traveler's checks are better than for cash, plus with the added loss/theft protection I'd definitely recommend bringing travelers checks over cash. I've never really compared rates, but I would think you would generally get better counter exchange rates converting foreign currency in the country, instead of here in the US.

The worst exchange rates are at the hotels since they are only doing it as a convenience for guests.

But overall, I think the best rates are "electronic" transactions (ATM/credit card), even including any fees incurred. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0