View Single Post
      01-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #42
RobM3
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I know this thread is a bit old but its one I read when deciding to install the performance exhaust on my car. My car was rear-ended and the exhaust was damaged, so I took the opportunity (and the repair credit from my insurance company) to upgrade to the performance exhaust. Steve Thomas BMW had the system on sale at the time which made the decision easier. Thanks ST BMW for the great deals on my mods!

The system has been on my car for about two weeks. In general, it is a bit louder than the standard OEM exhaust and noticeably so when you get on the throttle. The one down side is that I find it does have a fairly significant drone to it in the mid-3,000 RPM range. I notice it particularly when you give it just a little gas….say when you are on the freeway cruising along. If I upshift and bring the cruising RPM down below 3,000, it goes away.

My sort-term solution is to drive in a higher gear than I ordinarily would to eliminate the drone. Unfortunately, that means I'll need to drop a couple of gears if I want to accelerate rapidly. Not the end of the world because. let's face it….this car is fun to shift…. but something to think about for others who may be considering this exhaust system. Perhaps it will get better as the system breaks in. I will report back if it does.

Now, all that said, if I could go back I may still have installed the exhaust for a reason I never considered when buying it……heat, or lack thereof. I'm not sure if it was the steel used or the back pressure or a combination of both in the OEM exhaust, but you could have baked food in my trunk after a decent drive with the old system. Now, there is no noticeable heat build-up at all. It was an unexpected but very pleasant side benefit of installing the system.
Appreciate 0