03-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
yeah but you have to assume that all the power isn't just from the tune. That would be imposable. I assume it is a more aggressiive tune that runs on higher octane gas with all bolt on for the car pulley catless xpipe mufflers filter.
The dyno I saw was comparing a STOCK M3 to the same car with just the Powerchip tune.

As an earlier poster stated, the bump in power over other tunes on the market comes down to something they found related to variable valve timing. My understanding is the valve timing "enhancement" was actually found on the S85 (M5 V10) engine first and was easily applied to the S65 (our M3) engine given it is a direct descendant of the S85.

Now I see on Powerchip's website that they still advertise power gains for the M3 of +21kW, however the advertised M5 power gain is +44kW (IIRC it used to be advertised as +33kW or thereabouts). If as you say it is impossible to extract approx +35kW at the fly from the M3 engine (based upon the claim of +40WHP), how can Powerchip claim to extract +44kW from the M5 engine?

I've tuned as a hobbyist in the past and I can tell you valve timing has a HUGE influence on engine output. I've only tuned on a car (Subaru STI) with intake valve timing, but we were able to make quite significant gains in low-mid range torque by putting in some detailed effort into trying different intake valve timings. Now on an engine like the S65 with both intake and exhaust valve timings, you have another tuning dimension to work with - yes it's exceedingly more complex to tune, but I think the possibility for more power at high RPM is definitely possible.
Appreciate 0