View Single Post
      08-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #39
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

@foot, Art:

Of course the longer shifts in S4 are a big surprise. One of many classic cases of how the butt-o-meter can be very wrong. I am amazed that the D3 shifts, despite their very large mathematical jerk can be perceived so smoothly. I can't figure how there is enough time in a 30 ms shift to do anything with the extra engine and flywheel momentum, let along smoothly compensate for the extra torque at lower rpm.

I may have choosen 500 Hz for S modes with some thought they would be faster, however I also did it just to beging a sensitivity analysis of test parameters.

@lucid, Art:

In terms of reporting results. Based both on the difficulty and subjectiveness of saying where the actual shifts begin and end, as well as the noted noise problems, providing a +/- is not only good basic scientific practice but REQUIRED. In particular look at the S4 shift. It almost looks like there could be a secondary peak making that shift maybe as much as another 50% longer than I quoted. As well look at the size of the oscillations at the beginning of the D3 data and just after that shift. A couple of points show data with negative acceleration. That surely is not real, no way.

I have already tried some simple moving average filters and they do clean up the data a bit but not tremendously. You can't get anywhere near a 10 ms window for this since the D shifts will be mostly lost. There is much work to do on mounting, test procedures and post processing to get some truly quality data. I think the range of 300-500 Hz is just about right to capture not only the shift but some of the dynamics of the shift.
Appreciate 0