03-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

135i/335i to M3

Hi guys

I currently have a 135i, with a few mods but have always wanted an M3 for a very long time.

Motorline have a Fire Orange DCT M3 with the Competition Package on the floor which I am very tempted to purchase.

They didn't have a DCT model available for Test Drive, however they did have a used manual model available.

After taking it for a drive, it felt very underwhelming. It seemed to lack the low down torque my 135 has, and even when in the power band didnt seem to have the "throw you back in your seat" power the 135 seems to have (in current form)

Corner handling seemed slightly better (the 135i does have aftermarket coilovers and an LSD), but I suppose it didnt have that wow factor I was expecting.

The dealer did mention that the DCT model feels alot quicker than the manual.

The 135i is pretty much a flat 12 second car in street trim, is this hard to acheive with an M3, or is supercharging required?

Do any tunes available increase that low down torque? I know straight line performance isn't everything, but if spending double the money on a car I wasn't thinking it would be slower.

Thanks for your input

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0