View Single Post
      01-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
What's sad is that we don't challenge people's beliefs enough.

This woman believed in demons and spirits. If her beliefs were true and the children really were possessed, then she was in the right. She was trying to save her children. Maybe their spirits are now eternally saved and happy in heaven. If what she believes is true, then she's in the right and we're wrong.

The reason we condemn her is we assume her beliefs are false. But we live in a tolerant and complacent culture that has the attitude that if you believe something for no good reason, it's your right and you're not hurting anyone. That's obviously a short sighted position, as demonstrated here.

Your beliefs don't exist in a vacuum. Your beliefs inform your actions. They also affect your ability to form additional beliefs going forward. In that sense, false beliefs poison the well.

Our culture is way too tolerant of unsubstantiated claims made by alternative medicine, religion and the supernatural. If this news story makes you angry, check out http://whatstheharm.net/ and click on exorcisms. there's dozens of examples of this happening. The victims are children most of the time.

We need to become a more intellectually honest and a more intellectually INTOLERANT society when it comes to these harmful beliefs.
Okay, needed to read your entire comment, at first I thought you were kind of defending these people.

People just need to stop "believing", everyone believes something or the other and if yours does not match theirs, there lies the issue.

Either it is a facts and can be proven or demonstrated. it is like 2 + 2 = 4 if everyone can not agree then it is not fact. Leaving out the people who do not have the skills to answer the question.

We now created a society which it is now wrong to challenge someone "beliefs" therefore we have people like this running around.

When a mother kills her own kids there is something serious wrong with this person. Ever mother I ever met will become very irrational when it come to protecting their kids from harm. My wife and I have very good relationship and she has turned on me when she though I was somehow not protecting or doing what she thought was in the best interest of the kids.
Appreciate 0