View Single Post
      11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #54
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Its something like 60% of occurrences happen when sleeping on your back. You get a sense of being terrified because after you enter REM from NREM, your brains transfer of physical feeling can't be distinguished because your body thinks you are still in an REM state. Increased / decreased heart rates are directly related to the amount of stress you feel because you can't move (aka: you are freaking out). The next time you feel you are having this, try to initiate eye movement and look around the room, for some people it gives them a sense of knowing they are in control for the duration of feeling "stuck" and allows you to focus on breathing, thus retaining a normal feeling.

We had this battle for months before she was able to control her feeling when it would happen, but you have to over power the feeling of terror before you can focus on how to ease through the episodes.
Makes sense. Thats similar to what I've been told. Last week when it happened I remember closing my eyes (I dont know if I was asleep or awake) but I do remember as soon as I felt my body go numb I closed my eyes (I either closed them in real life or closed them in my dream. I dont know which.) because the feeling of being taunted was so frightening and I do remember saying "Grandma" over and over in my head, as if she could spook off whatever it was over top of me. My Grandma is deceased. I dont know if thats why I cried when I came out of it or again because the terror feeling that I feel while its happening. Its actually very embarrassing but I seriously am afraid to take a nap at the house or go to bed early alone before my bf gets home.
Appreciate 0