07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
the 100-400 is a very nice lens, but it's a monster to carry around and if you don't have any real purpose to have it, it works out only as an occasional use lens.

also, if you're used to lenses that are constant F stops like a 2.8 or f4, you will find it a bit of a pain sometimes as it has a changing F stop requiring you to adjust exposure every time you zoom in and out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 100-400, but it really only has use on one of the 2 cameras i have as my 70-200mm zooms almost as far when put on my crop body. And it maintains it's aperture settings throughout focal range.

Uses i have found for my 100-400mm: Shooting horse riding events on my 5DmkII and very seldomly on my 7D, good for a profile shot of a horse jumping a fence, but too much zoom for the rest of the ring, unlike on 5DII

and some shooting of birds on the 7D. Now if i lived in Hawaii and was shooting surfers all day, or doing celeb red carpet events, it might be great for some profile shots while stuck in a crowd a little far back.

Would i recommend the lens? Yes i would, it's one you would keep for years and enjoy from time to time.

Do you need it? No, you could probably grab a 70-200 F4 and a 2X tc and have just as much flexibility. plus you'd have a TC you could use on other lenses as well. It is big and heavy, and the push pull type zoom makes a lot of people nervous. subjects have to be about 9' away at least.
The surf pics above is shot with a 70-200 and 2x TC.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0