View Single Post
      01-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #42
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
yes and no... I think you make a lot of valid points but you fail to realize something. Yes, a Turbo Cumming Diesel can runs 9's in the 1/4 but at the same time; can it set a lap record around the ring?, can it win an autocross session?, can it set a top gear lap record? The answer is a definitive no. The GTR is a car that's good at many things not only one... The Veyron has not set any lap record as far as I am concerned and has never been down the 'ring which is the definitive measuring ground for all cars. Yes, the Veyron is an engineering marvel but how much of that marvel is usable? How will the Veyron's 250 MPH speeds trickle down to other cars? The answer is they won't because what makes a Veyron different won't be useful in any other car. Now that's fine if u want to make a one off car but it does nothing else for us.

Also, you say that the GTR didn't have any engineering challenges? Well let me ask you what magical formula did Bugatti use? They fit the largest engine they could find by bolting 2 VW V8's together and Quad Turbocharging it. The Veyron is incredibly heavy at 4200 lbs and that's why its not used in any competitive track event and no one wants to touch one because it's incredibly expensive. I will admit that it is an amazing machine but at the same time it's a purpose built car with very little purpose (i.e. the only purpose being going at speeds well above 200 MPH which no one will ever touch.) I think the fact that Nissan designed a car for 1/3 of its competitors in price and is able to beat them is more amazing to me than anything... No other manufacturer is taking that car lightly right now. The sheer fact that it can do 90% of what a Veyron can with the exclusion of top speed with less than half the displacement, less than 1/2 the cylinders and 2 fewer turbos is incredibly impressive to me. Let's not forget that a GTR is still as great of a DD as a Veryon if not better when maintenance costs are considered (not that DD makes any difference in this conversation because no one in the world DD's a Veyron).
Actually did you see the US Top Gear when they tested the Ford Raptor SVT, not only could this truck do 120MPH over rough terrain it did well around their track. So to your point can a truck do well around a track, maybe, but can a sport car do well off road, hell no. To each their own, but I would not mind having a 5 second 0-60 pickup that can do 120MPH off road than a car which is only good on hard pavement, but then again I spend just as much time in the woods as I do in the city.

The point about technology in the Veyron, there is lots of material science and aerodynamic design that had to be developed or learned to make the car usable and accomplish 250MPH + that can not be said about the GT-R again Nissan just took parts and designs which already existed and package it together to make a nice fast car. Again almost anyone can copy or improve on what someone else has already figured out, but it tech real genius to develop new technology.

Now if you just looking at how many cylinders it take to get the car down the road the fastest the GT-R is not the car to use a the bench mark, I think this car is the one we should consider, AeroShelby, it beats both Veyron and GT-R in the 1/4 and does it on 387 CI V8.

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/ultimate-aero.php

And if you only worried about getting around the track the fast the Ariel Atom beat them all and it cost far less than the GT-R and it too was a V8 and it supercharge verse using turbos

Last edited by Maestro; 01-03-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0