07-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #92
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kem View Post
Yes and no... I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people cross shop the vette and the M3. If performance is everything the vette is cheaper, but none of us drive vettes and for our good reasons. But the similarities between the vette and m3 coupe are far more then the differences (back seats). The 911 S is a totally different class of car too, but if the m3 indeed beats its ring time I'm sure there will be no shortage of punters claiming the superiority of the m3.

Anyways, I think maybe the expectations were too high for the M3 and maybe thats why the media so far has been somewhat critical. But I have a feeling its going to be an awesome car and I can't wait to drive one.
True, but 2 things drove me to trade my E46 M3 for the C6. 1) I didn't need a back seat and 2) there is no comparison is terms of performance. My M3 felt like my 330i after test driving the C6 and what was just stock. My C6 was stock for about 4 hours. On top of that, the engine upgrade potential for the M3 was limited and that is a strong suit of any small block V8 from GM.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my M3 and it did alot of things very well but I was ready for the next step up in terms of performance and the things that the M3 did well, the Vette did them better. No knock on the M3, that's what the Vette is built to do.

The E46 M3 is the best looking car ever built by BMW IMO, and I'd love to own another.
Appreciate 0