View Single Post
      09-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Learned a new trick - Force oil level re-test (true fresh reading)

So I changed my oil today.

And after doing so, I was trying to do the oil service reset. I forgot how to do it (know again now after googling).

I was trying to do it by holding (10 or so secs?) the BC button (I now know this is incorrect).

But what I did notice is that doing so with the oil level selected on the cluster (as in between the speedo and rpm) forces a oil level recheck.

Once you do it, both the cluster and iDrive go into the same mode as if the car was just started ("Measuring oil level").

It takes quite some time, so I think this resets all the averages etc etc etc.

Both times I did this it took about 20+ minutes to get the system to show a level.

Also worth mentioning: Since I read the best way to make sure to not overfill the M3 with oil is to add UNDER the recommended 8.8 (I did about 8.2) and keep topping off until it hits middle or better. When I did 8.2, the cluster said add +1L. I added about 500ml, did the BC button mentioned above, and 20 or so minutes later (after is was "measuring" for all that time), presto, middle mark.

So yeah, switch the cluster over to oil level, hold BC for 10 or so secs and your M3 will re-test, and due to the fact it takes so long to get a reading, will reset all the averages and get a "fresh" reading.

Someone want to confirm if I am correct?
Appreciate 0