11-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #46
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
please share your view on the rs5.
Obviously can't do anything from experience (unlike the C63/M3 comparo in "The Snake, The Mongoose and the Zookeeper"), but it's pretty clear that Audi has built a very competitive offering here, while retaining its "Audiness".

The Bimmer remains the darling of the road testers because of its back-road banditry DNA, and I'm quite sure it is a more responsive critter than the Audi in that venue, albeit not any quicker, and perhaps a bit slower. Still, in the twisties on the street, flat-out speed is not the issue unless you're a complete fool.

Going on road-tester phrasing, the Audi is a more planted, confidence-inspiring car when you're pushing it, but in that venue Quattro is also a curse in that it robs you of some steering feel and overall playfulness.

Overall, and obviously from afar, I think the Audi may prove to be a better overall car, in that I really don't often get to eight-tenths or thereabouts on the street.

Of course, the turnabout is that I haven't reached the maturity level necessary to get an automatic in my "fun" car, so on that score the Audi is clearly out.

Then again, getting the six-speed in the Bimmer means it falls behind in both the twisties and in a straight line, so that means it gets more complicated again.

Wait a minute! Got it!

I'll take the stick CTS-V, please. A bit quicker in the twisties, even quicker than that in a straight line, and better steering at speed (according to Car & Driver).

Problem solved.
Appreciate 0