03-24-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
The M5 remains an anomally amongst BMWs in my experience. I owned three X5 4.8is and when driving them back to back with the M5, even the X5 was considerably more economical. The biggest problem with the M5 though was not its thirst, but the lack of a decent fuel tank. 200 miles or less between fill-ups made it just overbearingly annoying to live with. My Z4M Coupe averages 24mpg and my M4 CSL is nearer to 19-20mpg on average (but then it's impossible not to rev it hard). Provided the new M3 can provide similar levels of economy to my CSL then that will be fine for me.

Rememeber some key differences between M3 and M5 engines, namely; brake regeneration (i.e. a disconnected alternator), the use of the spark plugs as a knock sensor and the 'low-pressure' Vanos. In press discussions BMW have been been clear that the V8 isn't just the M5's V10 minus two cylinders.
The spark plug operates as an ion flow knock sensor in the exact same way on the M5 as the new M3. Unfortunately not a new innovation for the M3/V8.

Last edited by swamp2; 03-24-2007 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0