View Single Post
      07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg View Post
The restriction definitely applies to Canadian Purchasing new cars. Having imported most of my vehicles, I'm well aware of the restrictions. BMW is by far the strictest in their importation process. BMWUS dealer will sell you (a Canadian) a vehicle that has been titled once. I hate how Canadians are so restricted. Whatever happened to free free trade?
I here you - business in Canada does have different cost structures though. I think it's less about Canada getting the shaft, but more like the US market is so sought after, that BMW needs to price accordingly. Look at the costs of the M3 in other parts of the world, Canada has it pretty good in comparison (just not against the US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrboy View Post
But in any case, what are the import taxes on a new car? like 25%??? is it worth it???
6.1% on the CDN $$ value of the car + a couple of minor fees for inspection and registration

There is debate on the perceived value of a US car in the CDN market come resale time, but this is purely subjective by the next buyer. Personally I think it is a non issue. The savings on the pure math are there as long as you do your homework

Shopping stateside is appealing simply for the selection (as there is none in Canada) and the savings are there too
Appreciate 0