View Single Post
      01-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The SRF has a higher WET boiling point, which is the main number you should be looking at. The higher WET boiling point is what allows you to keep the SRF in the car for a year and not have to worry about it. You may want to flush a few oz out at each caliper after a couple events, but that's about it but as a beginner/intermediate, you should be fine. Another thing you could do is add ducts to the front wheel well through the underbody panels. Ducting all the way to the caliper is a lot more trouble, but with some ducts to the wheel well, you'll at least get some cool air in there. It's amazing to me BMW didn't have any ducts to the wheel well like they have with the E46 cars.

For pads, the StopTech StreetSport will allow you to daily drive and track them at your level just fine. I've always felt true track pads should have a very aggressive tire, if not an R compound to take full advantage of them. And an intermediate driver shoudl NOT be on R-compound type tires. It just covers up bad driving.

If you're really set on a BBK, the only kit I can think of that will work would be the StopTech kit. It'll fit the Apex Arc-8, and pads are easy to change since it has a brigde. I don't know if the new AP calipers will fit in the Arc-8, but are suppose to fit the new wheel that also accomidates the Brembo 380 kit. It has a bridge too, but not sure about pad availability; I'm pretty sure it's not as good as the ST60 caliper.

Yeah I don't need R-Compound tires I know that for sure. I just wanted to get some higher grip "ultra summer" cheaper tires that cost less that michelins for accelerated consumption (track/autox).

I don't think I will bother with the ducting. I'd rather just do the BBK than cut the hell out of the bumper junk.

Maybe I'll try the "street sport"

I'm surprised you guys are all positive on the pad swap. After reading a ton of other threads I was convincing myself a BBK is 100% mandatory. (Horror stories about destroyed rotors, melted pads etc.)
Appreciate 0