View Single Post
      12-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
the new m3 will destroy the e9x in a straight line.

sure, at peak, both may make similar HP. but when you shift and drive, you use all of the top 3000 RPM give or take. the new M3 makes 430 HP from basically 5500 RPM to redline at 7400 RPM. The net result is that the new m3 makes a TON more power under the curve, and overall has a much higher average HP rating at all RPM than the outgoing e9x.

compare this with being lighter, and the e9x m3 is going to get smoked in a straight line.

the new m3 also has more robust brakes, lighter weight, a new generation of suspension and materials technology (always makes a difference, see each gen of the m3 since its inception) and a much more powerful engine.

its also much nicer in the interior and comes with more standard features, albeit at a likely higher price.

it will crush the outgoing m3 in all those metrics IMO. people who are focusing on peak HP numbers are missing out.

EDIT : and also, can we get past saying the new engine is an n55 with a chip?

it has

-new internals
-massively redone and reworked cooling system (liquid to air system with multiple heat exchangers and radiators)
-new, completely different turbos
-new tuning tech that allows the turbos to remain spooled even when off throttle
I certainly agree it might indeed be quite a bit faster than it sounds on paper (Stingray certainly is) and I hope it is. If it thrashes a full bolt-on e92 M3 and still sounds pretty decent then I would certainly be feeling a lot better about getting into one.

Can't wait for the Top Gear and C&D reviews of it so we can get some real-life figures.