04-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #178
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Regardless of how good the IS-F may or may not be, it is still a substitute product targeted at the BMW M3; someone who chooses the ISF over M3 will probably do so to save the $9k; I really doubt anyone will choose the ISF over the M3 because it is better than the M3 in any way. Lexus has come close, but so have many other manufacturers who have taken aim at the M3 for many years now. The fact is, that the M3 remains the King of its class, and to my knowledge, has not yet been toppled by the competition.

Personally, I drove the ISF, at Lindsay Lexus just like the OP. I thought it was an amazing car, until I drove the M3. Now that I have driven the M3 hard and on very challenging asphalt, it is my opinion that the M3 is a far superior performance coupe than the ISF.

Remember, the M3 chasis and engine is actually used to compete in professional motorsports; this is a fact and a true testament to the performance capability of the "m3 package"; we are talking about competitive racecars who use the actual m3 chassis and engine (less crank).

How many GT class racecars do you know of that use an ISF chassis? Engine?

Lexus ISF is a nice car and makes a great Gran Tourer. The M3 is in a different class.
-SZ
Nothing like bumping two year old threads that have been beat to death.

I already know I'll get flamed, but this notion that the M3 trumps every other vehicle in it's class in every way is laughable. You are correct in that price did have a consideration in my decision, but not because I couldn't afford it, but because I don't think the M3 is worth $15K more than the F or $10K more than the C63. (Canadian pricing )

My F is as fast as the M3 sedan in a straight line (I don't have a decent track within 1000km so that's not an issue). The interior is much better in the F and there have been no persistent issues with the F, unlike the DCT struggles here. I also really dislike the looks of the M3 sedan...love the coupe though.

I will certainly acknowledge that the M3 is faster on a track, but even that gap has been closed with the new LSD. I still think the M3 is a great car, but it is certainly not in a class of it's own. The C63 and F offer different strengths and weaknesses than the M3 but to say that the M3 is better in every way is just more fanboi rhetoric.
Appreciate 0