09-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
So I just went on a little drive and then did the 1000-2000 RPM test in the garage, and I hear a little ticking too. Not valve noise, because it's erratic. It almost sounds like the sound of exhaust cooling. My car has about 5300 miles on it (2011), but it drives like a champ... the engine seems to be getting stronger. I have a hard time believing this noise is anything serious. If a bearing was faulty, wouldn't there be other symptoms, like rough idle or loss of power or something?

God I wish I had never looked at this thread...
Hrmm... Yes, mine is also erratic... i.e. irregular. It also sounds exactly like the sound of exhaust cooling. Although the technician agreed that it wasn't, as it went away after the car stopped running, I have to say that I don't have any other issues/errors other than this particular ticking/clicking... yet.

I will reserve my judgment on whether this is serious or not, as it could be a symptom of something serious. I have to admit though that, when I first encountered this noise, I had the same thought as you did, i.e. that it couldn't possibly be serious.

I am dropping off my car tomorrow for a full diagnostic test; the foreman will hopefully be able to figure out what the problem is.
Appreciate 0